What We Do
Promoting, developing and representing the paralegal profession
What we do
We administer the Route to Qualification: the nationally recognised career path for professional paralegals. It turns a job into a career and an occupation into a profession.
We have developed the competency standards for paralegals and Legal Secretaries which map to the National Occupation Standards for Legal Services.
In addition we:
- Help our members to develop their careers as legal professionals.
- Give free paralegal careers advice
- Represent paralegals (both here and overseas)
- Work with leading organisations to bring you the best paralegal training
- Lobby government, regulators and the legal profession on issues concerning paralegals: rights of audience, diversity, professional recognition, terms and conditions, training, etc.
- Work with employers and recruiters
- Work with training providers, university law schools and others to provide you with the best qualifications at the most affordable price
- Approval courses for training providers here and overseas
Typical IOP projects include:
- The development of the Professional Paralegal Register (PPR) in partnership with NALP
- Assisting the Competition and Markets Authority in assessing the Legal Services market and how factors affect the Paralegal Profession lobbying the Ministry of Justice and Her Majesty’s Court Service regarding Rights of Audience for our members.
- Publishing our Competency standard for Paralegals and Legal Secretaries to promote the development of Paralegal Training Courses and qualifications for the progression of our members.
- Partnering with University Law Schools to promote professionally approved legal education and training.
- Working with all Legal Sector key stakeholders for the promotion of Paralegal careers.
- Promoting international recognition of Paralegals through partnering with other professional organisations and bodies.